Education and Career Guidance

Financial Assistance

If you are struggling financially, there are organisations that provide 'once off' support. Usually food parcels; public transport tickets or fuel vouchers – but the type of support varies between different organisations.

Get Me About endeavours to keep this information up-to-date. If any of the information is found to be in need of updating or not shown, please let us know.


Centrelink looks after all social security payments in Australia, on behalf of the Federal Government. You can find them at or the main page for students is This site has details for: Abstudy; Austudy; the Education Entry Payment; the Youth Allowance and other key payments and services. Centrelink also distributes low income health care cards and also Medicare cards.

Everybody has different personal circumstances which need to be properly considered, so we suggest you always ring and double check all information before deciding not to apply. For self service phone:136 240; for student enquiries phone: 132 490; and for apprenticeship enquiries phone: 133 633.

And remember to formally apply either online, in person at any Centrelink office or by phone (make sure you get a reference number). By formally applying, you will get an official written response and details for how to appeal a 'NO' decision you are not happy with.

Web link
Call  136 240; for student enquiries: 132 490; and for apprenticeship enquiries: 133 633.

Community Information Centres

Community Information Centres provide free, confidential and impartial information, advice and support. Many also provide emergency relief, or know who does in their local area. Go to to find a Centre near you. This link is to Community Information and Support Victoria, which is the peak body for the community information and support sector.

Web link
Call  03 9672 2000